Monday, March 19, 2007

Menu Plan Monday


The wise people who set the fasting rules for Lent, have a pleasant culinary surprise for us this week. We are going to eat fish. But not just any fish. This is a traditional dish for the day of the Annunciation.

Monday
School play today. We're going to eat a light lunch, a Greek salad and some olive oil, tomato and basil bruschetta, and then take the children for dinner.

Here is how to make the bruscetta:
Roughly chop 8 plum tomatoes, tear 10 basil leaves and crush one clove garlic. Mix together, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, cover with olive oil. Spoon over some toasted slices of bread (a french baguette is excellent).

Tuesday
I have made and saved some spinach pie in the freezer, so I'll bake it and take it along.


Wednesday
A bean soup with olives, baked bread. It is great dish in the winter but not that appropriate in the summer, so we may as well enjoy it now.

Thursday
We'll have some spaghetti with the tuna sauce I made last week. I saved some of the sauce in the freezer so it will be ready to serve while I get to boil the pasta.

Friday

Rice and soy mince prepared and frozen last Sunday.

Saturday
It has been a while so I''ll make the octopus we all like.


Sunday
The Annunciation, today. We are about halfway through Easter, and to encourage us to keep fasting, the church has provided for a versatile festive meal. Time for traditional fried cod steaks with garlic puree.

Thanks to Laura for being our host. Have a lovely week!

4 comments:

Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

Hi Irene!
You always have the most exotic menus! The cod sounds wonderful. I'm a big fan of octopus as well.

Have a great week! Blessings~

Annie said...

yauIrene,
You had me at spinach pie! yum.
I have never tried octopus. It sounds very interesting...
Have a great week!
blessings~
Annie

Annie said...

I was typing the word verification and it went in before your name somehow on the previous comment...

Merisi said...

I am fasting as of today, only rolls and milk and tea.
Feasting with my eyes is still allowed, so thank you for letting me indulge. :-)