Monday, June 04, 2007

Menu Plan Monday

Hello,
It has been quite an OK week, food wise. Nobody left starving. Had ready made lunch only once (Thursday), a Chef salad and Club sandwiches.
On Sunday I made some burritos. F and D remembered having them before, but it was new for J. He didn't like them at all. C likes spicy food, although he thinks gyro is even better!

So, here is my plan for this week:

Monday
Stuffed tomatoes and peppers
There are many recipes around. I have tried quite a lot of them as this is one of our favorite dishes for the summer, but simple is best. Just empty the inside of the tomatoes. Save it in a bowl. Add rice, parsley, onion and garlic, salt and pepper. Then fill back the tomatoes adding a small piece of hard cheese and a teaspoon of olive oil before you close the lid. Add some potatoes to the side and bake in mid heat for about an hour. Alternatively you may saute the stuffing and leave it for half an hour, but it is lighter if you do it the other way.

Tuesday
A Greek salad.
Funny how such a simple dish can contain all the necessary ingredients for a healthy and filling comfort food!It is easy too: you just have to chop tomatoes, cucumber and onion in rings (place onion in a bowl with some water while you chop the tomatoes and cucumber, as it is easier on the stomach this way).
Then add some Kalamata olives (they are black and fleshy, which means you may easily take the kernel off and serve to the young ones, plus they are sweet in taste) and matchbox size slices of feta cheese.
Sprinkle with oregano and be generous with olive oil. You may also bake some bread and dip it into the olive oil at the end. Serve with cold wine. Cheers!

Wednesday
Spaghetti with tuna sauce. A twist for the meat-free minded. Saute the onion with olive oil, add two 90gr. cans of tuna (without the water), parsley, chopped tomatoes and tomato juice, salt and pepper to taste and some capers.

Thursday
You know. Sandwiches.

Friday
Lentils and rice salad. Steam rice and lentils. Mix with finely chopped parsley and onion. Sprinkle with olive oil and lemon juice.

Saturday
Green beans and peas in tomato sauce. That's all Greek to me, but I'll give it a go because I am a positively thinking person.
Serve with feta cheese and freshly baked bread which you dip into the sauce and then lick your fingers!

Sunday
Grilled fish
Lettuce salad

Now, a couple of weeks ago I wrote this post about our favorite restaurants. Maryam wrote this post about a restaurant in Kenya, which I think you should read! It is called "Carnivore" and it serves stuff like crocodile (delicious, I suppose) and ostrich meatballs (that's barbaric, ugh!).

Finally, I'll leave you with a comment our daughter D made the other day.
We were having fish (which turned out lovely, by the way, not smelly at all, which is what usually puts me off fish). I was trying to reinforce the family's attitude toward healthy eating habits by bringing up as an example the people of Okinawa in Japan, (literally far fetched, I know) who are a role model for healthy and long living.
As you know there are basically two-best dietary models, the Okinawa one, lots of fish and veggies and the Mediterranean one, with lots of pulses, whole grains, vegetables and olive oil.
So, I was quite appropriately underlying the importance of eating fish with veggies when D said:

"Mum, do the people of Okinawa eat spaghetti?"

I said, no, they are not into starches that much.
To which she replied:
"And what life is that, if you don't eat pasta?".
I' ll have to agree on this one!

Do visit Laura for more Menus. And have a lovely week.

6 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I completely agree about life without pasta ;) Ah, and I add some black olives to my tuna/tomato sauce...yum :)

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

mmmm...we eat a lot of stuffed tomatos here and stuffed peppers. Sometimes with a little spicy ground meat!

Do you find doing the meal plans helps you to plan your shopping for the week?

Annie said...

Someday I may just show up on your doorstep... just in time for dinner :o)

Renee said...

I think I'll be stopping by for dinner this week (LOL). Your menu plan looks great!

Anonymous said...

that greek salad sounds delicious--have a great week!

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

What a delicious dish of delight you served everyday!