Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Time Travel Tuesday

"Special times with our fathers", is the theme for TTT this week.
Mine are so few, yet they have their own special place in a corner of my heart.

My dad's memory fits in a red patent handbag and is wrapped with a red crocheted shawl. These were his only material presents to me and I can still recall them as the hight of pampering. But they are not the only reminders of his presence. Sometimes, when I look at D, I can see him in my daughter's features.

My parents separated when I was an infant and fought a bitter divorce battle well into my teens. In my childhood mythology, he is the bad guy. I have no memories of his physical presence. Apart from a kiss on my eyes:"Now we will be apart", he said, and I never saw him again. He got married and had two sons, which makes me an only child with two half brothers.

I never hated him. I never felt close to him. Or my mother. Neither of them came to my wedding. Other people and other places became "home" to me. My godmother, a monastery, my best friend/sister C, a summer in my family's rural estate in Greece, my University years in London, all envelopped in a golden light of freedom and independence are what I used to call home. But I never knew the kind of family I was longing for.

Until I got married and God blessed me with the kind of real family I never knew as a child.

One day C came home from work. I was then a SAHM to our two daughters. I opened the door to welcome him and he hugged me tight. I thought something terrible had happened and I struggled to get out from his grasp. He said that that hug wasn't his. It was from another person... My father. C had moved heaven and earth to reach him because he wanted us to have his blessing. My father gave it to us.

Dad, I ask of you no more.

9 comments:

Annie said...

Irene,
I'm sorry that you never knew your dad. My husband's father committed suicide when he was a boy and it has been a sore subject, but he has made his own family with us and now feels the love of my own father as well.
Thanks for traveling through time with us!
Next week we will be traveling back to our favorite or most memorable vacation.

annie
My Life as Annie!

KC said...

I'm sorry that your dad missed out on watching you grow up, and that you never got to know him. But I'm very happy for you, and the family you have now, the kind of family you had always wanted.
Thanks for letting us time travel with you this week.

Leni said...

I struggled for many years with the fact that my dad abandoned me. I am so grateful that God sent a good man to show me what a dad was supposed to be.

I also really appreciate the dad my husband is to our kids. Every child should have that.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that you never really knew your father. It is hard I know. I never really knew mine either. Even though he was around.

Barbara H. said...

I'm so sorry your dad missed out on your life -- yet so glad God filled in those places. That was sweet of your husband to seek his blessing.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Anonymous said...

So very powerful. Bless your heart! I'm so sorry you went through life without your dad in your life. (((Hugs)))

Renee said...

Thanks for sharing. How touching your husband wanted your father's blessing.

Joyful Days said...

You put difficult memories into gentle and moving words. My heart to you.

Prayers

Jenny said...

Wow. I'm sorry. I'm sorry you didn't have a dad's lap to curl up into during your childhood. But, I'm glad your husband loved you enough, and was in tune to you enough, to know you would like your father's blessing. And I'm glad that your hubby is being a father to your children. I can't imagine going through this. You are a strong woman.