Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Another day, and nothing in excess.

"Tomorrow is another day", as Scarlet would say. And baking is a good way to take your mind off bad thoughts.
So today I baked a cake with olive oil, sultanas and walnuts. I'll post the recipe this week. It's delicious and dairy-free.
I then baked a spinach pie I had on the freezer.

I was so disoriented, it being Monday and with all the strain of the weekend watching the flames devour half the country, that I nearly went out the front door before realizing that the kitchen was the other way.

In the afternoon we went to the movies to see the new Harry Potter and the order of Phoenix. I think this is the best of the HP series. I liked a phrase by Professor Dabldor. He said as an advice to HP that we choose which person we want to be : the evil "Me" or the good "Me". It all is a matter of choice. Like not panicking. Most of the people who died in the blazes would now be alive had they not been over sentimental, impulsive or if they knew what to do in case of an emergency. The Greeks said it all, or most of what is worth knowing, really. "Nothing in Excess" (together with "Know Thyself") was considered so important that it was written on the temple of Apollo at Delphi. So basic, yet so dificult to achieve. It applies to everything, food, love, grief, wealth, even happiness, which was consider to be a hubris to the gods. And what about knowing ourselves, our strengths and weaknesses, who we are, where we come from, where we go.

I have wandered all those years trying to find myself. And myself was all the time there, from the beginning, waiting for me. Jesus was there from the beginning, waiting for me to come back, but in a different, less superficial, more conscious and open way.

I look forward to go back to my diet and my "Mary heart" reading. I am afraid I was sinking into depression, so I must put my best foot forward. Those people died trying to earn their lives. We must live for them.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I have been thinking about you.
The fires have been on the national news here. They said they suspect arson?
Just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts & prayers.