Monday, August 13, 2007

Menu Plan Monday

Hello Food lovers,
By the time you read this we will hopefully be on a Greek beach, lazing under the sun. As we shall be camping this year, our cooking is going to be quite challenging. Never fear, though. Nature is so abundant, even when people are greedy. So here is what we are planning to feast on this week.

Monday 13 to Wednesday 15
The Greek Orthodox Church has a fast from August 1st to 14th, in honor of The Dormition of Our Lady. We haven't been fasting this year, first because I have been lazy and did not insist enough, and second because of our trip to Thessaloniki, where we indulged ourselves to some local delicacies and to the loving family cooking of our hosts.
Anyway, as of Friday 10th, we are not eating meat, and on the 14th we won't be having dairy so that the kids can receive Holy Communion. I am so moved, because they agreed by their own free will and probably by God's works.

So we will be eating lots of Greek salad, seafood and watermelon.

Then on Wednesday, our daughter D who celebrates her nameday on the 15th, will be offering us brunch after the church service. We usually have a full tourist breakfast which includes bacona nd eggs, orange juice, bread, butter and marmalade and tea or coffee.

Thursday 16th to Monday 20th
Our routine consists of cereal or bread, butter and honey or marmelade for breakfast.
Fruit on the beach.
Sandwiches, Greek salad or tuna salad for lunch.
Spagghetti when I cook. Grill when C cooks. Souvlaki for take away. Mousaka and pastitsio for dinner when eating out.

As an appetizer for our Greek cooking, I am posting some pics from our recent trip to Thessaloniki, Macedonia, Northern Greece.


Come on in, the table is set by the sea.


Mussels, a local delicacy from Thessaloniki. A saganaki with olive oil, onion, peppers and lemon, and a risotto with mussels.



And help yourselves to Greek salad and tzatziki, ouzo and a cold lager!

For more Menues, head over to Laura's at I'm an Organizing Junkie!

Have a lovely week. Keeping you in my thoughts.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Oh Irene, I wish I was there on the Greek beach, lazing under the sun ...

When you come back I've given you an award so come check it out.

love,
annie

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Well that certainly gives a new twist to seaside dining :)

Have a great time!