Thursday, September 06, 2007

A day in the life

It is finally getting fresh. It rained in the morning, one of those robust summer rains , strong and willful like teenage boys.
F and D's teacher probably had her baby today. There was an announcement at the door that said courses will resume on Thursday. We'll have to wait till morning, then. J wanted to see his kindergarden , so we drove him and the girls. He amazed me when he decided not to stay. It showed that it hurt him to say no, but he used his judgement and decided against it. I think he felt he has been preparing all summer for Primary School, so he didn't want ot go back to his old ways.
D, however, stayed and played with the principal's daughter, Maria.
I did all the paperwork of the day, plus some misplaced orders. We left shop early at just past 2 p.m. to pick up D. While I was waiitng in the car for C to pick his newspaper, i read a little from my prayer book that i uncovered. It is wonderful how prayer soothes my soul.
At home I had a lentil soup made the day before. It was tasty and light to the stomach. We also had some feta cheese and olives, and a nice whole wheat loaf i bought from the bakery.
The girls, J and myself, had a look at some old photo albums. Gosh, they grow up and i C and i were once so young!I want them to know what's behind every picture, to know that they are being loved every moment.
C was sleepy. He watched an old sitcom on TV while D and i washed the dishes. I got on with the laundry and then I decided not to sleep, but cook a meal for Thursday.I decided on some meatballs with rice in a tomato sauce, but then realised i didn't have any tomatoes. So I dressed again in my blue crops, white linen shirt and red loafers, and went to a local supermarket. It is smaller than the big chains but i like it. it smells of washing up powder and the staff is surprised when you say hello.
I went to the basement first and got three spaghettis with an oven glove as a free gift, a packet of penne, faux tortoise shell hairclips, and a shocking pink dish cloth with an embroidered "tea".
Then i went upstairs and baught some creme fraiche, two pints of Becel and low lactose milk,chocolate and cream parfait ice-cream for DH and plain chocolate, cream and strawberry for the children. i found that this Super Market does a leftover sale from the trims of cheese and ham, so instead of buying at 7, 9 or 10 Euros, I bought those for 2,89/kilo, as i had in mind to use them for an au gratin.
i loved going to the Super Market. We are usually in a hurry, but I enjoyed going around. i even got to sniff the fabric softeners which I rarely do. When I do buy a softener is either the baby stuff which is OK or what's on a 2 for 1 offer. That was nice. Note to self:i loved the Vanilla and the Mistral.
Back home, C was up, so I made him his Greek Coffee (that involves warming the water, adding coffee and sugar if desired, and still over the fire ut take it off before it goes overboard).
I then got into the cooking. i nearly lost the rice to the basket ball game: Greece was facig Russia for the European Championship, but unfortunately lost and finished second in the group.
i then called my m.o.l. because i wasn't quite sure wether I could leave the penne in the fridge and bake them tomorrow evening. She said i could and she and aunt S gave me the recipe and some tips which was very nice.
i had grapes for dinner (Sultanas) and C and the kids had chips and toast.
I then came upstairs and relaxed with the computer, I barely noticed the time goi by, but I needed that time to myself.
i am now looking forward to my evening prayer.

No comments: