Sunday, October 28, 2007

Flood

About two hours ago we got a phone call from the owner of the shop that we rent. He said that he thought the pump that he uses to drain water off the basemetn of the shop was not working. C got dressed up immediately. I begged him to get the children ready and go with him, but he went alone.

He called me awhile ago , he was crying. We had had flooding before as some of you may recall, but this he said is the worst. The water this time rose to 40cm. Matresses, beds, pillows, duvets and a sofa, plus the Ikea wardrobes we had purchased for our new home and were storing in the basement, are all soaked. We got new merchandise in on Saturday. Who would have thought?..

C says he is giving up. We cannot afford a second destruction within a year (the previous one was in May). We may ask the company to take the franchise and maybe keep us as employees. This is obviously going to be a tremendous change in our lives. No private schools for the children. This is the first thing they told me as soon as I broke the news to them. J was particularly sorry because we had just made space in the basement for them to do their homework and play.
I have been feeling a change coming. I know that God wants to tell us something. Becoming frugal is the first thing that comes to my mind. Bonding us together, perhaps. Or maybe redirecting us to another profession. Or even a country? Or is it to get me out of my perhaps self-indulgent depression?

I do not know. B
ut I would like to ask you to please keep our family in your prayers. I'll see the shop in the morning. And then the cleaning task awaits us...It is so sad...
I' m going to put the children to bed now. We as well as them need all the strength we can get.

3 comments:

Denise said...

My sweet friend, my heart hurts for you, and your family. I am lifting you up in my prayers, I love you.

Annie said...

Oh Irene, I am so sorry for this destruction. I do believe God answers prayers and that He works in mysterious ways in our lives. I can't wait to see how He works out your situation, I imagine it will be a beautiful story. I am holding you and your family up in prayer tonight.
love,
Annie

Carrie said...

OhIrene, I am so sorry to just now learn of the terribly destructive flood. My prayer is that God will be with you, your husband and children at this time of crisis. Take hold of His limitless love and know that all things will work for good. I can tell you that after the family crises we have faced that God will see you through. Just trust His heart of love.
Carrie @ Oak Rise Cottage