
"As far as I am concerned life is too short to dust because I would rather be icing a fairy cake or knitting a sock". From Generally Gemma.
This morning I stopped by one of my favorite blogging ladies, Mrs L. As it were she has posted about an article in The Telegraph and links to two of her favorite blogs. I have read the article , visited the author's blog and popped over to Amazon to check on the book, The Gentle Art of Domesticity
. Apparently it is a book on "the gentle arts of knitting, baking and sewing" as a means to enhance family life.
The article hit a raw nerve. To a great degree I feel for Ms. Hunt when she says that "the media isn't to blame, Ms Brocket. It is you and your ilk; women who have done the career bit and, looking around for a new diversion and cushioned by private income or a wealthy husband or generous alimony, target the home and impose impossible standards on the rest of womankind via beautifully illustrated books and websites".
I have long detected this trend of the perfect housewife syndrom. But I think it is imperative now more than ever for women to get hold of their lives, hold on to their values, dreams and inner wishes and shape their lives and the lives of their children in a more humane, sweeter, way.
Here is what I posted to the Comments section of The Telegraph:
"I acknowledge the writer's feelings. I must say, however, that it is all a matter of shifting one's mentality. You cannot be who you are right now AND feel the comfort of motherhood and homemaking. It isn't your fault. It is the fault of the whole post-industrial revolution system. But you have to try it if you want to find peace with who Nature made you to be. It isn't easy and I haven't figured out how to do it either. But keep looking at you, inside, and you'll find the answers".
I have not read the book yet, and although it is in my Wish List, I do not know if I would otherwise be interested enough to buy it. Apart from the occasional cross-stitching, I am not into crafts, although I daydream about them. But I am standing for all the brave women, not the rich-bitches playing housewife, who take the steps into shaping their future and the future of their children according to their values and mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment