Thank you!
It shows the Greek royal family. It is a card that King Constantine's office sends us every Christmas. This one was sent to us in 2006. You can see HM King Constantine and HM Queen Anne-Marie with their children, their spouses and their grandchildren.
The story behind this annual ritual of us sending the Royal Family Christmas and name-day wishes and for them to send us back a card is this.
My late grandfather was a Greek Orthodox priest. As a deacon in the 1940s he served at the Royal Chapel. He always had a wonderful voice, and he could read the ancient texts beautifully, so King Constantine's parents the late King Paul and Queen Frederika loved listening to him during the services.
In recent years HM has been allowed again to visit Greece after being for years in exile. We got the word and my husband and myself met him at his hotel. We talked for awhile and offered him an olive tree, wishing that one day he may plant it at his Greek home. I was really moved. That was a day I'll never forget!
For years I have kept the King's Christmas cards in my drawer, but after my grand-father passed away, I have decided that they should be displayed in aprivate place so as not to offend visiting anti-monarchists but allowing me to enjoy the memories of a long and deep appreciation. So I have bought a frame that I love, and each year I put the new card inside to see and cherish.
Thank you Kelli for hosting!There is certainly No Place Like Home!
16 comments:
How interesting!!!! What a great share for us. So unique. I enjoyed it very much.
Mine's posted
Thank you for sharing. :D
What a wonderful history behind your photo, Irene! You have a very interesting heritage. Blessings...
Very cool Irene!
Thanks for sharing it with us!
Very neat story. Thanks for sharing. :)
Great story behind the photo. Thanks for sharing.
my first show and tell is up
Very interesting story. Thanks for sharing your story and picture with us.
~Amy
Today was my first post also. I love the story behind the photos. You have extra special family background.
what a really neat story!! Thanks for sharing.
Wow, Irene! Thank you so much for sharing such a special story with us. What a marvelous legacy :)
By the way, welcome to show and tell! It's a joy to have you along. Blessings! Q
HI AGAIN....I'M BACK TO LET YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TREAT WAITING FOR YOU ON MY SATURDAY'S ENTRY---at my blog.
Happy weekend.
What a wonderful story! And what neat mementos.
Welcome aboard - Show and Tell - glad you joined in!!
Thanks for sharing about your picture. I love the frame you have it displayed in!
Jane
Irene (a beautiful name), thank you for joining all of us with your very first post on Show and Tell Friday! Your story about your grandfather and how it all ties in with the royal family and the cards is so interesting - that's wonderful. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us. Blessings to you!
Welcome to the S&T community, Irene!
And thank you for sharing this story, it's very special indeed!
I've been to Greece some years ago and went to the little island Santorin. It was wonderful, I really loved it! The blue sky in Greece was so special, we had such an unforgettable vacation over there!
Best wishes from Germany,
Anita
So beautiful.And such a luck to have such previlege.
Thanks for your comment on my blog.
Post a Comment