Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thankful Thursday-Rejoice


“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
~ Philippians 4:4-7 (ESV)


It is both easy and difficult for me today to write about "rejoicing". I have had a difficult day at work that thankfully draws to a close in awhile, and I am saddened by the news of the passing of a dear friend of our family and of the terminal illness of Archbishop Christodoulos of Greece.

However, it is so miracular the power of God's word! I copied the passage above from Iris' entry and began reading it to myself as soon as I got some time alone.
And suddenly my worries and strain seamed to fade. And all I wanted, all I needed to do was read on. And I wished, my friends, that this feeling of comfort and certitude could last forever. The peace, the reassurance that God is here and would never betray us.

As reports are broadcasted from Miami where the head of the Greek Orthodox Church in Greece went to undergo treatment, I am amazed to hear that his reaction to the bad news was "Let God's will be done". He publically confessed that in a moment of weakness he said "Oh God, why me?", and that he immediately said to himself that God has His plans and that he should follow His will.

I am therefore thankful for:

*God's love.
*God's word that is powerful and healing.
*My children and their progress in school. D's Greek gets better and she can write down the homework required as the rest of the class does.
*DH for being here for me, supporting me and understanding when things tend to go wrong. Thank you!
*Being alive and well in spite of my mistreating myself so often lately.
*Lunch and afternoon chocolate on Saturday.
*A hot chocolate and a morning walk in the park on Monday.
*The neighborhood bakery filling the morning air with the perfume of hearth and life.
*Doing my weekly memes. I enjoy doing them.
*blogging friends. You are so wonderful!
*Blogging visitors. It is so nice meeting you. We're so many, so different, yet so much alike in our needs and wishes.
*The winter selection of books on mail-order. I'll have to post bout them, but I am thankful I can stretch enough to afford offering them to me.
*The first rain. I was all dried up, but although it is still hot, I enjoy the spells of fresh air.
*Work. I wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for work. Glory to heavens above!

Thank you for stopping by, and a big thank you to Iris for hosting.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you Irene, that God would continue to strengthen you with His hope and fill you with his peace in every circumstance.

Denise said...

Praying for God to comfort your hurting heart.

eph2810 said...

God's Word is amazing, isn't it? It always brings healing to my heart when I read/dig into it. I am thrilled that the verses brought you peace.

How awesome that your children doing well in school. I think Greek is a very hard language learn, how cool that DH can write in Greek.

I am so sorry to read that the bishop is not doing well with the treatment. I hope that he will find comfort in God's love.

Thank you so much for sharing your thankfulness with us this week.

Blessings to you and yours.