Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Time Travel Tuesday-Our first home

Our first home was a 3rd floor two-bedroom flat. It still stands on a side street of a mid-class, apartment-block neighborhood of Athens. We had previously spent some months living with my in-laws as we were looking for an apartment that we would like. When C came one evening and told me he had found something he thought I would like, I got dressed up immediately. I can still recall it was a black pair of trousers, a white shirt and a red woolen cardi.
The apartment wasn't big, but it had a wide veranda with fer forge that the previous occupants would leave to us, it had a big looking glass installed to make it look larger and black and white checkered floors. Always the host, upon seeing it I made dreams of having birthday parties and friends in lantern lit nights on the veranda.

There was a living room with the kitchen tucked in a corner, and a bathroom. We first stayed in one of the bedrooms, but with the arrival of our daughter, we moved to the other bedroom that was bigger and could accomodate her cot.

The furniture we bought at the time is still with us. We were both excited about being home and we wanted to recreate a Greek-folk look. So we bought some rustique furniture, including a sofa that has moved with us ever since. It occasionally gets transformed with throws and blankets, but we love its sturdy and obedient nature. (F and J, 2004)
As the apartment was smallish, we opted for a folding table, which over time has served as dinner table and kitchen table. But we always love to entertain, throw a pie in the oven and share whatever we've got. Kind guests, welcome!

(F and D c.1998)
For more first home views, please visit Annie. I loved this week's subject, thank you!

7 comments:

Nancy Face said...

Your blog design is so pretty! :)

Oh, I ♥ black and white checkered floors! :D

Your children are precious! Thank you for sharing your memories! :)

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to be so hospitable! I fail in that area.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

I love the way you have a no regrets attitude to your first place. Sounds very welcoming.

Denise said...

I loved reading about your first home, such sweet memories.

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed reading this post! What sweet memories of your first place.
Your header is gorgeous!

Annie said...

What great memories Irene.
I've given you an award over at my blog today.

KC said...

The pictures of the children are precious. Thank you for sharing with us the memories of your 1st home. Great TTT