Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Time Travel Tuesday


Goooodmorning. It's Tuesday. Time for Annie's meme!
Today Annie (and Jenny) want to know of any smells that take us back to a different time and place. I am not going to disappoint. I am very much a perfume person. I can make out and describe periods of my life book by scent alone. Look:



My friendship with my childhood friend, C, is perfumed with Eau de Patou. As is my first love.

"Launched by the design house of Jean Patou in 1976, Eau de Patou is classified as a refined, fruity fragrance. This feminine scent possesses a blend of clean and tangy citrus. It is recommended for evening wear".


My mum is "Je Reviens" by Worth.
"Je Reviens by Worth Perfume for women. Launched in 1932. Je Reviens is classified as a sensual, exotic, feminine, flowery fragrance. Fragrance notes: amber, bergamot, clove, hyacinth, jasmine, lilac, musk, orange blossom, orris, rose, sandal, tonka bean, vetiver, violet. Je Reviens is recommended for evening wear".

"Je Reviens perfume by Worth became the way to say "I love you" and "I'll be back". It was a farewell kiss which hundreds of thousands of women never forgot. "Je Reviens a miraculous harmony of the most precious scents, strong and fresh yet flowery and warm, it plays a woody major note on a theme of narcissus, jasmine, jonquil and ylang-ylang".
My mum was the epitome of the 1960s style housewife. Always perfectly groomed. She used to keep a handkerchief spritzed with her perfume in her bags. I loved opening her wardrobe and immersing myself in her perfume. That was the closest we ever got. So hurray for Worth.


However, the one smell that I remember from childhood is the polish that our house used to smell just before Christmas. It was a round tin, that you could open by twisting a coin. It was then used to polish the marble floors in the living room and the dining room. This would be combined by the oil burning stove in the kitchen that would make the house warm and cosy.


Great meme, Annie. Thank you.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your sweet memories...especially about your mom's closet and hankie...and the marble floor polish!
Thanks for sharing and for the smile I'm wearing right now :)

Denise said...

Awesome post dear.

Anonymous said...

Fun fragrance memories Irene!

Anonymous said...

I love the image of your mom as the 60s housewife with perfumed hankie. :-)