We went to church with the children, who are now more able to understand the language, and more patient with the time involved.
Saturday, May 03, 2008
Holy Week 2008
Holy Week and Easter are behind us, but the flavor of the holidays is with us.
We went to church with the children, who are now more able to understand the language, and more patient with the time involved.
Thursday night we've listened to the twelve gospels narrating the events up to the cruxifiction and placement of Jesus in the tomb in our local church. On Great Friday we went to C's village and followed the afternoon service amongst the few elderly inhabitants and visitors. C carried the epitaph, an edifice made of carved wood, representing Jesus' tomb, that women decorate with flowers. In there lies a heavy red velvet. With golden thread is embroidered the dead Jesus with His Mother, his beloved John, the Apostles and the two Maries.
On Friday morning we visited an elderly relative who is very-very nice with us, bringing her the customary Easter sweets and eggs.


Fasting on Great Friday is strict, so we don't eat meat or dairy, not even oil. So, this is what our meal looked like.
I shall soon post about Easter Sunday, too. It was a deeply moving and peaceful week, for which I am offering thanks to God.
We went to church with the children, who are now more able to understand the language, and more patient with the time involved.
Labels:
Christianity,
Easter,
Greece,
Life in Greece,
Spring
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Beautiful pictures and food, thanks for sharing such wonderful experiences!
I really enjoyed reading about your observation of Holy Week, Irene! I love the tradition and sacredness of it.
Thank you for your visit and your kind words about my interview.
Blessings to you this week as you follow Him, dear Irene!
xo
I enjoyed this post.
Post a Comment