(Photo from Corey Amaro at Tongue in Cheek)There is so much going on around that it is getting more and more obvious. So obvious that you wonder how come people can't see it. I suppose just like I could not see it, some months ago.
I was speaking over the phone with our Best Man. He and his wife called to wish me for my name day. We were speaking mainly about our new house, the funny stuff and the enervating stuff that building a house involves. I told him how I can see that C is not happy with work (he knows C more years than I do), and how I don't like seeing him feeling trapped.
He told me about a second year University student he used to teach, who killed herself the other day, asphyxiated by the pressure that was put on her to succeed.
I offered my example to the conversation: I have been so unhappy for years, feeling that I have betrayed my dreams and my academic achievements, how I was feeling trapped in a 100000 town on the remote North West of Greece.
He said that he too does not care about what is called career, that he does not understand how people do everything to make money and achieve social status.
Well, I am ready to say that I would like to be affluent financially. I dream of my work being recognised and my style admired. I am not vain. But I have been trained by my ambitious mother to be an achiever. I am not vain, but I like being appreciated.
However, I wouldn't kill, either metaphorically or litterally, in order to reach my goal. I cannot grasp office politics. I can see it, but I do not like it and I don't do flattery.I couldn't and I wouldn't work for a financial firm or a fashion magazine, for example. I wonder how I even applied just after graduation!
Switching. Corey Amaro is a lady that I admire. She writes superbly and she has a refined sense of style. But she is also kind and thoughtful, a beautiful person.
Corey's father died last month. She and her family have been by his side all the time, and in her writing she has shared the moments of deepest love and insight. I suggest you stop by and visit her, but here are some precious pearls of wisdom.
Our family is the way it is because of my father’s and mother’s faith, their faith in God.
It is a legacy of love that cannot be taken even in death. It lends us grace and gives us courage.
Had I known life was like this I would have lived it more wildly somewhere along the line. That is not to say that I regret how I have lived, but more-so to say that I have been silly at times not to have jumped and splashed in the puddle- to take advantage of the life I have been given.
Read also the insight into her friend's Shelley's life. "...life is what you make it", she writes, shedding light, indeed.
1 comment:
You are a sweet blessing.
Post a Comment