Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thankful Thursday-Relationships



Hello dear friends,
I hope you are all doing well, anchored in Christ's faith and the love of your beloved.

We have had a busy but pleasant week. We are finishing work at the old house, there is the painting to be done starting tomorrow, and there is an enormous amount of work to be done in our new home where after the first days of organised bliss, stuff is now randomly piled up in corridors, the garage, underneath our desks.

So much old stuff that we must part from, dear memories that we hold dear. Through this move I am learning to focus on the people, not the stuff. Remember the love and care that accompanied every purchase, and love again.
I am thankful for my sweet babies and my dear husband. Our family is God's precious gift.


Thank you all for your support, your words of wisdom and your prayers. M.i.l. invited C to go to Athens next week to discuss some property issues that have been looming. I am not quite sure I appreciate the sudden eagerness. I am praying that the intentions are good and there aren't any back thoughts.



Another thing I am thankful for frozen meals. Watermelon. Bread, butter and honey. To understand what I am suddenly talking about, you must know first that food is a very strong manipulative subject in Greek culture (British, too perhaps, think confessions over tea and cakes). To understand this, think more My Big Fat Greek Wedding rather than Mamma Mia!.





What I have learned to be thankful for is simplicity. Cooking mountains of food, making others feel guilty of all the trouble you've taken to cook their meal, is so not me anymore. I got into it when I got married, trying to please my husband. He comes from a family of fussy foodies. I come from a Spartan background due to my late grand father's diabetes and ulcer condition.


although I like to cook for my family, I am learning that what matters is the love that I put into taking care of them, more than the recipe I am using.

I am thankful for all of God's gifts, health, family, work, hope and love, and the wisdom to appreciate them all.

Big thanks go to Iris for hosting. Take care and have fun.

7 comments:

Denise said...

Such a precious thankful list my friend, love you.

flmom said...

We all tend to let the "stuff" be too important sometimes, don't we. It's funny you posted about food today. I made a double batch of ginger cookies today for a whirlwind trip we have to make. I really didn't want to heat up the kitchen (not a pleasant thing to do in FL in the summer), but I thought about my boys and the happiness it would bring them........

Have a blessed week ahead!

Michele Williams said...

I had posted this week too about getting rid of stuff... purging... It is a freeing experience. Thank you for your post.

Nancie said...

Yummy! Your family is so blessed that you can cook so well. "What matters is the love that I put into taking care of them". Amen to that! God bless you as you take care of your family. Lovely thankful list. Thanks for sharing with us. Take care and God bless!

Melanie said...

Irene, Love your post today. So very true about getting hung up on "stuff" and not on the things that are truly important.

Happy Thankful Thursday!

Unknown said...

Wow Irene,

You seem so much better this week. What a simply delightful post. It is filled with your heart for you family, husband and your new- old home. God bless you my sister. Hugs.

Melanie said...

Hi, Irene. I hope you're having a great week.

Stop by and visit me this weekend.. you'll find a surprise waiting for you.