
The month of August hosts what is traditionally called in many places over here "the Summer Easter". It is the feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, (She who gave birth to God), Virgin Mary.
Every evening, apart from the eve of the feast of Transfiguration (August 6) and the Dormition, (August 15), there is an afternoon service in church, that of the Paraklesis. It is a service of supplication for the living that includes very beautiful hymns. I have posted some in my left hand side sidebar. You may read the whole service of the Little Paraklesis and listen in Real Player here.
Every evening, apart from the eve of the feast of Transfiguration (August 6) and the Dormition, (August 15), there is an afternoon service in church, that of the Paraklesis. It is a service of supplication for the living that includes very beautiful hymns. I have posted some in my left hand side sidebar. You may read the whole service of the Little Paraklesis and listen in Real Player here.
In memory of Virgin Mary's humble fasting for fifteen days before her sensed dormition, there is a fast of meat and milk from the 1st to the 14th, apart from the 6th, date of the Transfiguration, when we eat fish.
While I did not find a relevant video on You Tube, I found the one below, which is of a beautiful hymn composed by a modern time monk and saint, St. Nectarios, Bishop of Pentapolis. You may read a brief selection of his writings here.
May God's blessing be with you.
While I did not find a relevant video on You Tube, I found the one below, which is of a beautiful hymn composed by a modern time monk and saint, St. Nectarios, Bishop of Pentapolis. You may read a brief selection of his writings here.
May God's blessing be with you.
1 comment:
Bless you my dear friend.
Post a Comment