Friday, November 07, 2008

Some thoughts on the election

It is over then, isn't it? It does help to think what most of the faithful ladies I managed to visit say, that after all is said and done God is in charge and to His will it will all be done.
I can understand how jubilant the world felt. The thought of a man of peace in the Oval Office after all those years of daggers flying above our heads for no apparent reason, does sound hopeful. Let alone the wording: Change. Andreas Papandreou won the 1981 elections in Greece with the very same word. Of course it was all a masquerade, leading to a complete dismember the notion of family and traditional values, including divorcing his wife and mother of his four grown up children in order to marry his mistress. But by then the knots had been loosened and the people forgave him and made him PM once again.


But after the jubilation , it does make you think, doesn't it, when the leader-to-be of the world's superpower begins to make dubious choices. I mean, who would have thought that the Americans would have rejected an American war veteran one day by fear that he'd be a follow-up to the Bush administration that has stirred up so much hatred around the world, and the next day they'd wake up with someone who has served as a volunteer in a foreign country's army? If we are to believe the pro-Obama Washington Post, his choice of the "Rahmbo" signals "...a potential mood shift away from the serene "no drama" ethos that defined his campaign".

Under those circumstance, I can only smile whenever I think of Berlusconi's assessment of President-elect Obama. After meeting with the Russian president, he called Obama "young, handsome, and even tanned".



If that's all he brings, then that's fine with me. I am afraid it is going to be much worse than that...

No comments: