Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Baking, cooking, baking...Christmas

Gosh! I hadn't done that in years, I think. Non-stop cooking and baking till 3.30 a.m.
This is my first day (or rather evening) out, post Friday. During which I played nurse to my 7 year old (thank God he is fever-free today). Made a festive lunch for my 12 year old's birthday. Cooked a vegetarian meal of beans and courgettes, and broccoli a la soy cream and pastitsio (that's layers of thick macaroni with a ground meat and tomato sauce and a creamy sauce on top; note to self: remember to post recipe!) with soy ground 'meat'. And baked melomakarona and kourambiedes, that's the season's typical Greek sweets.
And you know what? Despite of the continuous cleaning and washing that followed every step of the projects, the only reason I said I'd come to the shop tonight, was to write to you and wish you a very blessed CHRISTMAS.
Can you imagine? I have been working non-stop from 17 to 25, stayed at home for three years, then non-stop for another eleven. I am supposed to miss going to work and dealing with orders and filing reports and the like. But right now, dress me like the Waltons and you've made my day, no, make it a year!

This is D's birthday cake. I didn't make it myself , like last year,but we bought it from a nice local patisserie who prides itself of having the recipe from a French employee who first made it some time at the beginning of the last century, hence the french name 'gateau'.

These are my daughters at work, making kourambiedes and having fun around one of the most treasured parts of our new home, the white-marble-topped island. It's so helpful and fun! I love it.
And this is the final result of my melomakarona. Can you see they're all wrapped like baby Jesus?

In my news feeder: "Speaking on Monday, Pope Benedict said that saving humanity from homosexual or transsexual behaviour was as important as protecting the environment". Yes, sir. I agree. (Read more on the BBC page).
May the miracle of Christmas fill our hearts with joy. His Joy.
Merry Christmas, dear friends.

2 comments:

Pink Slippers said...

Merry Christmas! My husband's father is Greek. We treasure that side of his family. Our American Thanksgiving did not go over with our children so for Christmas we will be having a Greek dinner. Which my children will love and do love. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Wendy

Denise said...

May your family be blessed with a very merry Christmas. I love you.