Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Tour of Homes

BooMamaChristmasTour

Welcome, dear friends! It's great having you stop by!

The red carpet is waiting for you to step in.
We've decked the halls...

...and the stairs.
Come, sit by the fireplace.

Let your eyes rest and contemplate The Adoration of the Magi.



Here is our Christmas tree.


Dinner will be served in the festive dishes.




Come on into the kitchen. Our fridge got the Santa treat, too.

Have a glass of wine and give me a hand if you feel like it. Have a kourambie! I'll give you a dozen to take with you in a festive dish, and the recipe to try at home.


Have a look at my favorite Christmas recipe books.


That's my favorite Christmas cook book, The Essential Christmas Cookbook. That's where the kourambiedes recipe I am giving you below comes from.

This year I shall also be using Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities. Lovely and doable, with Nigella's special writing style that puts me in the mood, presto!
For Greek recipes I always turn to the amazing Elias Mamalakis. Do check his website. There are hundreds of recipes to try out and enjoy. Do e-mail me if you need any specifics about a recipe, or a special ingredient that you can't find at home.

Now for the recipe (Come on, do something different this year, along your long time favorites!)

Kourambiedes

Ingredients:
250g (8 oz) butter, softened. (I use butter made of sheep milk, but you could use cow's or even vegetable based)
1 cup (125g/4oz) icing sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 tablespoons brandy
2 1/1 cups (310g/10oz) plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup (30g/1oz)ground almonds
1/3 cup (40g/1 1/4 oz) silvered almonds, finely chopped
2 tablespoons orange flower water (you can also use rose water or other mixed flowers)
1 1/2 cups (185g/6 oz) icing sugar, extra for dusting.

How to:
1. Preheat the oven to warm 160C (315F/Gas 2-3).Line two baking trays with baking paper.
2.Beat the butter, icing sugar, vanilla essence and orange rind in a bowl until light and creamy. Gradually add the egg yolk and brandy and beat until fully combined.
3.Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, stir in the ground and chopped slivered almonds, then stir into the butter mixture. Form walnut-sized pieces into crescent shapes and place on the trays, leaving a little room for spreading. Bake for 20 min. or until lightly colored. Cool for 5 min., then lightly brush with the orange flower water. Roll in icing sugar to coat and set aside on wire racks to cool.
4.When cool, dredge the remaining icing sugar heavily over the top of the kourambiethes.
While we bake and chat, your children can play in my kids' bedrooms,
and if you're tired you may take a nap in our room.




When night falls, we'll turn the lights on, outside...

...and inside.



Come sit by the fire.
Dance away the night with us.

And give thanks to Christ for the gift of His birth and the wonderful time of the year.









With thanks to Boomama for hosting. See you next year!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, this is just so much fun. I love your tree and your staircase and ok, I just love it all. Thanks for having us in your home :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, this is just so much fun. I love your tree and your staircase and ok, I just love it all. Thanks for having us in your home :-)

Trudy said...

The Adoration of the Magi is stunning! Beautiful warm home. Merry Christmas!

Denise said...

So very lovely.

Tammy said...

Everything is SO beautiful!! Thank you so much for stopping by my place....it's been a while since I've been to yours and so glad I stopped by again. I am absolutely copying your Kourambiedes recipe. They have always been a favorite of mine.

Merry CHRISTmas!!

Kiy said...

Everything looks so special and lovely. I loved how you invited us in and took us on a tour.

Merry Christmas, Kiy

Anonymous said...

Your home is decorated so beautifully! What wonderful photographs.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Irene! So nice to come and visit you in Greece!! Now wouldn't that really be something special. I love your decorations and your photos. May God bless your family, you and all your celebrations with His JOy!!

Sharon said...

SO BEAUTIFUL!!! Your home looks so warm and inviting. I would love to visit Greece someday!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
God Bless You and your family!

One Mom said...

What a lovely tour of your home..so welcoming and loving...a safe refuge from all the chaos of late. Have a joyous and peaceful holiday!

Kelli said...

Thank you for having us over to your beautiful home! Merry Christmas to you and your family!
~Kelli

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the charming tour-everything looks festive! The cookbook and recipes caught my eye too!
Merry Christmas!
Come on over too.
Dianne