Monday, January 05, 2009
Hiting the slopes and the 4-0
We spent Friday in the snow. Literally. We had had some snow a couple of weeks ago, in our own backyard, which is quite rare in our city.I absolutely loved it! Neighbors must have thought we were nuts as we played in the snow in our perfectly visible from everywhere backyard, but hey, we must do our best with what we've got!
On Friday though, we traveled north with a family of friends to find snow in larger quantities. We, as a family, hadn't envisioned a skiing trip as winter sports are not part of our family curriculum. Neither were they in our friends', as it turned out, although they had all the air and gear of the slopes enthusiast (the things I do to have some friendly company on hand for my kids...).

Anyway, after a long, meandering drive, we reached the ski center. Fortunately it was raining and it was foggy, so we weren't allowed to rent snowmobiles. That didn't stop us from getting our feet wet, and quite happily so. I was rather edgy, as the lady friend chose to stay safe and dry in her car while I was steering on the slopes both my kids and a couple of hers, but the air was refreshing and lifted my spirits. By lunch time, C and I had made up our minds about where we were going to have lunch.

The old teleferique station, was welcoming and the food was OK. But occasionally I get tired of the folksy theme that one finds in most mountain resorts. Inevitable and unimaginative.
Today we stayed at home, instead of venturing out. After shopping for the Sunday papers, carrying images of slaughtered Palestinian children, and a copy of the winter issue of Cote-Est, my favorite winter magazine, I settled myself on the couch. This is something I rarely do, as both my dear husband and son occupy it most of the time. Today I stayed long enough to read the editorial and take the picture below. The Outlaws arrive tomorrow and I had tons of work to do, from cooking to hiding away stuff that may be deemed unusual/interesting and bringing forward clumsy/ludicrous gifts. Quite blurry picture, but, take my word for it, 10 minutes of self-care work wonders.
To finish this post on a particularly joyful note, I gladly present you my birthday cake. Not my making, but my choice. I am officially heading toward the big 4-0, gals. Here, have a piece of cake, and let's have a toast!
Labels:
Life in Greece,
Time Travel,
Winter
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Happy birthday.
About the snow: I wish I had some here.
Alfazema
Hope your birthday was a nice one, the cake looks yummy. We always went out with the kids and played in the snow, it smells so nice and clean in the snowy weather.
When is/was your birthday? Happy birthday!!!! Were you born in 1969? I was!!!
Hope your birthday was as wonderful as you are. I love you.
Post a Comment