Today we visited my fil's sister in hospital. She had a stroke a few days ago. C went to see her twice, but I wanted us all to go and wish her well. So today, after F finished her oral exam for her Michigan certification in English, we drove to the hospital.
C had told me last night that she was talking about her parents and her long deceased son, and I was quite worried. She also has a fever and doctors are afraid of a second stroke.
We found her in bed, with her signature round glasses on, tiny, with rosy cheeks and smiling as always. It was the first time I saw her without her black headscarf. Traditionally Greek women who have lost their husband wear black including a headscarf, and never get out of it for the rest of their lives. Her hair is silky and white with little strokes of black.
Although C had told me she wouldn't name her own children, she called F by name, first, telling her her usual :"You got my name, didn't you?" which makes them both smile because they share the same name. Then she recognized J whom she had seen at her great grand daughter's christening a few months ago. She pulled his head onto her chest and kissed his hair. She also spotted D and called her by name. D has the name of her daughter. She is blind but she always has her mother's smile on her face. We didn't name either child after her or her daughter It just happened.
I was caressing her forehead and hands, and C was talking to her. She was telling me stories of making vast quantities of pan cakes for her children and her brothers' children. She looked at me and said: "I have always loved you, and now I love you even more".
I told her that she'll make pancakes for my children again, and that she may give us some of those delicious eggs she would collect and offer us as we'd drive away from her home.
I couldn't help the tears flowing from my eyes, although I didn't want her or her son to see me, but I couldn't help it. Nor can I help it now.
I know that she is old and fragile, but I want her to get well, and go back to her two bedroomed little house again, where everything is warm and welcoming and loving, as it should be...
5 comments:
What a beautiful post, I'm really touched that you chose to include my photo with it. She must be a very special woman indeed to inspire so much love.
(())
My prayers,
Julie
I will be praying for her sweetie, love you.
I hope everything will be all right.
Alfazema
No matter what the future holds your family has been blessed with love. I never got to say goodbye to either of my parents and you know that your visit is something to treasure. May you all know the peace of God in the days to come.
Post a Comment