Monday, February 22, 2010

100 Years of Greek Scouting

2010 marks the100th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of Greece. Today being "Thinking Day", that is the day when Guides and Scouts worldwide think of each other and their mission, I thought I'd post here some thoughts about Scouting. I was both a Girl Guide, from Patrol Leader to Brownie Guider, and a Scout. As a Scout I became a Cub Scout Leader and I was awarded the Wood Badge, the youngest female Greek Scout.
Τoday I choose to stay away. I confess I kind of jump on my heels when I see a Scout, because I do have good memories from my Scouting years. I loved the life in the open spaces, the romanticism, gazing at the stars, the campfire.
However, I totally disagree and reject the trend of globalisation that has taken over education including Scouting. I believe in sovereign nations, contributing their best to our planet's colourful picture. But in no way do I want us all to fall into the one big melting pot that is being prepared for us. Unfortunatelly Scouting is part of the scheme, a tool used to that end.
There is therefore the idealised Scouting of what used to be in our lives and minds and the reality of where things are leading. This post is dedicated to the memories. Read on.Click and watch.



The Song of the Greek Boy Scouts.



11th World Jamboree, Marathon, Greece, 1963 (with translation)



And the famous Jamboree song (with translation and lyrics).Isn't it one of the most cheerful songs you've ever heard?


The official ad for the 100 years. Very nice.



GG signature

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I've never thought about scouting in other parts of the world. My son was in scouts for a couple of years when he was younger.