Friday, October 29, 2010

Thankful Thursday-Freedom

October 28, 1940

October 28, 1940: Italy invades Greece

The Leaders
The Women
The Art
Today, 70 years after the invasion of  Greece by Italy, followed by the Germans, 
I am thankful for
FREEDOM

 I am thankful for my late grand father and my husband's late grand father who fought in the war, in the Cavalry and the Artillery, and for my father in law who fought and was wounded in the war against the communist rebellion that followed (1945-1949).


October 28, 2010

70 years later, the government bans military parades...for financial reasons, they say...some say following orders to further attack our morale. But we march on...
...and say "OXI"~"NO!"


 "Protect our Nation, flag of the Cross"




And to you all, my dear friends, I say, protect your freedom, your Nations' freedom, your people's freedom. Believe that there is no one mighter than God, and to no one else do we owe our allegience.


With Thanks to all of you, and to Lynn for hosting and for your prayers.


GG signature

7 comments:

Heather Hart said...

What a great thing to be thankful for! Happy Thankful Thursday!

Iphigenia said...

A day to remember...for sure. We still manage to have little parades here. Have a good day!!! :)

pam said...

Wow...I think there is much I don't know about Greece. In the last few years our oldest has dreamed that getting married in Greece would be so cool. She's been fascinated since she studied Greece in school at some point. Freedom...I think we in America take it for granted.

Irene said...

Hello Pam,
Yes, indeed. There is so much we take for granted. Our Freedom is too important to compromise. I am so glad to hear about your daughter. I will be glad to be of assistance in any way.

Irene said...

Kalimera Iphigenia,
Greeks aborad are better at keeping up with their ancestral values. Greeks in Greece are much more tempted. You should see the answers many children give on TV about what we celebrate on each National Day. Thank God for Greek expats ;-))

Irene said...

Hello Harter,
Happy Thankful Thursday to you, too. Yes, we need to remind ourselves how great it is to be free. And we have Christ to thank for that.

Denise said...

Nice post.