Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Menu Plan Monday

MONDAY: This is my day off. I stay at home and cook a hot family lunch. This week's favorite is broccoli au gratin. I steam the broccoli lightly on the steamer, then put them in the oven with soy cream, organic kasseri (that's a goat's yellow cheese) and feta, with some bread crumbs, sliced garlic cloves and a little finely grated nutmeg.


TUESDAY: Stuffed tomatoes. This dish can be prepared beforehand AND we can take it with us. Some people use minced meat, but I do a faux version with rice, parsley, finely chopped garlic and onion. My children love the little piece of feta at the top. I also save some of the tomato juice, and add it around the tomatoes, adding some extra rice and potatoes.


THURSDAY, FRIDAY: We stay in the shop all day, so we make sandwiches with wholewheat bread, lettuce, olives, and feta cheese. These olives are a new finding of ours. They come from an area in the South of Greece. This is a very dry land thus the very small in size but extremely tasty produce. These are olives from a surviving Ancient Greek variety, that some friends of ours now have decided to collect, pack and sell. Nothing beats them as a snack. They are also great with beans and salads.


WEDNESDAY, SATURDAY: Beans day. We eat at home, so we can afford to eat a soup. We all love lentils. I cook them with tomato juice, onion, garlic, finely chopped and blended carrots, bay leaves and oregano. Add some olive oil at the top. Yummy!



SUNDAY: I can take the time to make a delicious salad. This one is a take on the Waldorf. It's got lettuce, cabbage, Granny Smith apples, pomegranate, some balsamico vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil.


Bon Appetit! Kali orexi!

5 comments:

Merisi said...

Besides that I'd eat anything you prepared, stuffed tomatoes are my favorite! The way you describe it, the recipe is the same as the Italian version. Every time I go to Rome, I make sure to have at least once a pomodoro al riso at Franchi's on via Cola di Rienzo. I used to eat there often when I worked around the corner.
To the good times,
Merisi

Laura said...

Hello! Nice to meet you. Thanks so much for dropping by and joining in MPM. I LOVE the pictures. That is a great touch!

Laura

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

This all looks terribly delicious. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind me coming to stay for the week? I promise I'll be very quiet and will do my best not to ask for second servings:-)

Alhya said...

I've just discovered your blog, thank you very mutch for the link to my blog ;-) I'm so happy!

Unknown said...

I enjoyed looking at your menu.