
Holy Week. No meat and dairy, of course, but also no olive oil. Quite a tight choice, but I have always loved it. You know why? Because my mother never told me to eat up during Holy Week. Her expectations were somewhat lower and I was free to eat when I wanted and as much as I wanted. And I got to go to church and indulge in the scents and melodies, and pray, and cry my heart out over dead Jesus and everything that hurt.
So this week is going to be mainly based on salads, fresh and raw or boiled.
As my my in-laws are here, I won't be having much control over our diet, I am afraid. What I do know is that
M.i.l. will be making a bean soup on Monday
I will boil some legumes with lemon and mustard dressing for Tuesday
Pasta fresca, my darling, for Wednesday, with chopped tomatoes and capers. Today we will make our Easter cookies. Click here for my recipe (with comments from darling Esther).
M.i.l. will be making cuttlefish with spinach on Thursday. No-blood and if you add a little ink from the fish, the dish turns out blackish, so a good choice for a dark day.
The kids and myself will paint the Easter eggs red, like Jesus' blood. To read more about dying eggs with all natural dye from onion skins, click here.
We never cook on Good Friday. We simply lay the table with boiled potatoes and leafy greens and fresh onions and fresh garlic and nibble, but don't actually sit down to eat.
Saturday again no proper meal, some spaghetti on the go perhaps and some fruit.
Easter Sunday lunch is all about lamb. Symbolically and in reality.
For more menus, please visit I'm an organizing junkie!
5 comments:
Great menu and a great post!
Best wishes for Easter
Clare
Good Monday morning Irene.
The traditions you talk about are so interesting, I'm so glad you post about them.
Your menu looks great!
Easter Blessings~
♥ Annie
My Life as Annie!
I love reading about your traditions!
Blessings on your Easter!
Wow, I loved reading through this post and reading about your traditions. I am so glad that you shared that...have a great week.
I enjoyed reading about your traditions--how interesting. Everything sounds delish! Happy Resurrection Day.
Post a Comment