I read this post on BBC, about Prince Charles' efforts to promote environmental issues and the protection of some endangered species of animals and plants in Britain.
"I have been going on for all these years to a chorus of ridicule about the importance of protecting and preserving rare native breeds of cattle, sheep, pig and chicken," he said.
I am not a fan of the Prince, particularly over his choices in his personal life, but over the years, I have increasingly appreciated his stand over such issues such as architecture, national heritage, biodiversity and the protection of local species. There still is so much richness around us, that it is an insult, a sin, an "agos" as the Ancient Greeks would call it, toward Nature, Life, God, whatever you call it, to increasingly depend on laboratory enhanced breeds and seeds that are only good enough for a season, then they become infertile so that you have to buy again from the large conglomerates or that they become the cannibals that eat the bones and flesh of their own kind.
If you live in the UK, hear the interview in full on Gardeners' Question Time on BBC Radio 4 at 1400 GMT on Sunday 8 April.
No comments:
Post a Comment