Saturday, June 16, 2007

A school feast, marks and a talent show

Today was the last day of school for F and D for this school year. No more lessons till September. D will continue with her English class till mid-July. It is a great opportunity for her to catch up and improve especially in the way she expresses herself in writing.
I have ordered for her a CD with the first three Little House books, plus the books themselves. And Secret Garden which is among my personal favorites. I grew up an only child in a single parent family, wishing for a family like The Waltons and pretending to be Laura Ingalls. (F is the Laura kind of girl. God bless her).That later progressed to cross stitching folk patterns. I do not know if she will get into stitching. I hope she will do some cross stitching during the summer. It so much frees your mind.

Their marks were a little disappointing. F did well, although I did not express myself as much I wanted in front of D. This is because D's marks were quite low. She does well in maths and all things done in the classroom, but she doesn't manage lessons like History where she has to do the reading and learning by heart bit.
Every time she has to read she cries her heart out, she just hates it I think. I bought her a book on Fairies which is a subject she loves. If only Polly Pocket came in books!..

Tonight is the final of a Greek talent show we have been watching.
We particularly liked a 14 year old girl with a voice that would make Whitney Huston and Celine Dion very proud to hear her sing their songs.
I also like a Pakistani singing a religious Pakistani song. I hated it when he sang Greek songs, though, I actually found it disgusting. It is just all wrong to the ear.
I also liked two little girls dancing the ballet dressed like French dolls. They had also danced the can can in a previous show. So sweet! I only hope I can find their photos to show you. They were excellent.
*However, none of them won. First came a boy singing Greek bouzouki songs, and second a group of folk dancers, all children, from the island of Crete. I think the judges looked quite surprised and disappointed by the results which were the result of the public tele vote. But that's modern time democracy. Although Pericles and Plato wouldn't agree with it.
Still, I am pleased that two Greek style groups won. It says something about Greek people. At least they didn't vote for the magicians and the brake dancers. Not quite sensitive aesthetically, but not rotten either. *

2 comments:

Emma said...

I love cross-stitching too. It's a wondeful way to just relax and I'm about to design a door name plaque for F and stitch it to go on his bedroom door. This is something I have done for all the children, and that'll take care of my summer cross-stitching this year :-)

I too hope that my daughter takes it up. She has shown an interest in sewing and did well for her age when she made a felt picture last year. I hope she wants to do cross-stitch as she grows older as I have so many patterns I'd like to pass on to her.

Have a good weekend Irene. x

Annie said...

I taught Emelia to cross stitch last week, she picked it up really quickly. I don't do it much anymore but always enjoyed it. Mom has a big picture for each child I gave birth to, because I would sit and stitch for 9 months :o)