Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Time Travel Tuesday-Vacations

We are travelling back (in our minds) to vacations...Either a favorite one, or most memorable.
Do you have any special vacation memories? Where did you go? Did you camp out, or stay in a hotel?

I love this subject, Annie. Thank you for bringing it up.

I remember my first travel to Greece, aged 4. My grandfather's brother put me on his olde bicycle and together we made a tour of the family estate. In my mind and soul, bliss is still an olive grove with an orchard of orange trees and lemon trees, a huge well, and a shady stone built home. And a bicycle.

The main body of my summer holidays during my maiden years is linked to Scout camp. I excelled in my Wood Badge training, and I was allowed to lead camps at a very young age. I recall the freedom and romanticism of life in the woods. Once a Wolf Cub Leader, always a Wolf Cub Leader!

When we moved here, we were like tourists, wanting to see everything at once. A couple of years into it, we realised it was a lost battle. Then I went back to my camping memories, and suggested we go camping. When we first arrived at the camp site, F and D were so disappointed, that C was ready to load the things back on the car. "That's not a holiday!", D said. "Where is the bedroom? Where are our beds?". I was going through a soul searching time at the time ("The Artist's Way" year), and I said something like, "The Earth is our home and the stars are our companions", which in some peculiar way worked. C probably thought I needed some rest, anyway, so we got to put up tent. The girls loved it, and I loved snuggling against them, and seeing them free from the comme il faut constraints, getting their hands and feet dirty and laughing and being happy, normal kids.


We continued going camping, even when I was pregnant with J. He went on his first camp when he was eight months old. There is this photo of them with baby J, that always make my heart melt. I was so glad they welcomed him to the family. The blessing I always give my children is what Jesus wants us to do in life (I did it even when I didn' t want to remember who said it first!..) to Love Each Other. The rest will follow.

Last year and the summer before that, we spent our holidays in Corfu. I began missing the comforts of civilisation and I was craving beautiful architecture. Then I got a commission for a small hotel and a private summer house, and it was the perfect opportunity to getting to know the island.We all grew fond of Corfu. I think it is a lovely place whether you want to go wild or savor the nobility of it.

I don't know yet where we'll go on holiday this summer. Wherever, really, as long as we are healthy and together. Really...

8 comments:

Jodi said...

Fun memories! Have a great Tuesday!

Annie said...

Your vacations sound heavenly Irene. I would love to visit Greece!
Your children are precious.
♥~annie

Barbara H. said...

I especially loved your description of "bliss" from your first trip to Greece.

It's funny that we used to do a lot of camping, and enjoyed it then, but I am more inclined toward civilization now, too.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

KC said...

What wonderful memories.
I spent a week every summer growing up on an Island at a church summer camp and then when I was in college worked there for a summer also.. it was the best. Growing up we use to go camping alot and now that we have kids we go camping about once or twice a year in a tent. I love that.. but I also like our hotel trips which we do every year also.
I really loved the way you descriped your memory of Greece, it sounds perfect.
Thanks for letting us travel though time with you this Tuesday.

Renee said...

Your vacations sound wonderful! Great pictures of the kids.

Leni said...

I hope to be able to travel abroad some day. Every time I see someone's photos from another area, I add the place to my list of things to see!

Susan said...

I enjoyed reading of your travels.
Susan

Joyful Days said...

The picture of the olive grove with the trees is beautiful. Some wonderful vacation memories. Thank you for sharing them.