
Fires have been destroying the heartland of Greece. Since last night we are stuck in front on the TV as people from Peloponnesus, Southern Greece, are asking for help, trapped in their villages. Peloponnesus is the fertile South of the country, with olive groves, vines and orchards, and some of the most important archaeological sites including Olympia and Mycene.

The fires, the work of perfectly organized criminals, for political and economical reasons, have been set ablaze all along the night, making it impossible for the firefighters to be present at all fronts.
There are also fires on the island of Euboea, next to Athens,

and even in the Athens area.

Up to now, 42 people have lost their lives, including 7 children. Particularly moving were the stories of a young hotel owner in the region of Laconia who together with his sister and a female employee went out in search of two customers who were walking on the nearby beautiful forest. All 5 were found burnt.
A young mother with her 4 children, aged 12, 9, 8 and 4, together with their grandmother were burnt alive as they were trying to escape the fire. They were cut off in their car due to the fire. The woman called her husband on her mobile to tell him that that was the end. He advised them to escape through the olive groves. The grandmother couldn't make it out of the car, the mother and children were found in the olive grove, the mother covering her children with her body.
Right now I can see in the news that the toll rose to 47 dead.
Update:the toll rose to 52, including 9 children of which a family of 5, father, mother and three children, who were found hugging each other in their car trapped by the sky high flames. May God rest their souls.
This morning, we were planning to go to the sea for the week end. As we made coffee, C and I looked at each other, and we both agreed that it wasn't ethical for us to have fun while people were dying, and on the other hand, we couldn't have fun while these things were happening.
We took the kids to a bookstore that our flat owner's daughter opened. Before we left, we spoke to the children, urging them to think of the people and especially the children who died such a horrible death within flames reaching up to 100m, and think of them and their dreams and desires as they were preparing for the new school year.
We then stopped at a church and lit a candle for their souls and prayed for their souls.
We are shocked and devastated. We pray that some help will arrive from other EU countries. Remember your summer holidays, the beautiful places you more than once enjoyed, and help us. We pray that God may rain and extinguish the fires. No man can do it.
Please pray for Greece and for the people.
As I write this, another 4 people were found dead.
I think of the stories that my late grandfather used to tell me about his native land.Places I have come to know in my mind. Beloved people who brought me forth.

The villages I hear about on TV, sound so familiar. His stories about the land, the stories about his home and the farmstead, and the life of the people, all come alive as I hear of the places he used to tell me about. C and I were talking about going there sometime so that I could feel my roots and let the children see where mum comes from. Dear God, dear God...
4 comments:
Truly devastating. I'd not read about that here. We suffer from drought as well. I'm so sorry for your people. God be with you are your countrymen grieve.
Maggie
Oh I am so sorry to hear about all this. I honestly had no idea!! I went to Greece last May and just loved the country!! Beautiful beyond words!! THank you for posting this so we all have more reason to be specific in our prayers for far off countries - far from Illinois at least!
Hope next week si better!
This is so sad. We are "used" to fires in the summer but without all these human losses.
It's tragic.
Oh Irene, I send prayers your way. How terrifying. I pray God places a hedge of protection around you and your family and that the fires will be controlled.
Post a Comment