
Hello dear friends,
I have missed you in the past couple of weeks. I had all the good intentions of staying in touch, and I have been thinking of you every day, but a) I didn't have a connection available, although I did carry my laptop with me and b) I have been busy living Christmas.
Today I am so thankful. I was looking forward to TT. It has become my favorite meeting point with Christian, believing, loving souls.
I am thankful for Christmas. For Christmas as in the birth of Jesus Christ, and for Christmas 2007. Without the first, the second wouldn't exist!
Christmas 2007 was the first Christmas we have spent beautifully and lovingly as a family. We have always spent Christmas, New Year and Epiphany, the whole three weeks of celebration, with C's parents and family or with C's parents staying with us. I grew unhappy with the stuck up atmosphere of the gatherings. The pressure was too much, the preparations, the facade, the fuss. I longed for Christmas and loathed the holidays, can you see what I mean? I SO much wanted us to celebrate as a family!
This year God offered me this very precious wish of my soul. We have spent Christmas as a family, in very beautiful surroundings. We travelled to Vienna on the 23rd of December, and we stayed till the 26th. We all were more relaxed, spending all the time walking around and marvelling at the sites and enjoying each other's company. (I shall post about our trip in the next few days).
C amazed me-God amazed me. C was a different man. He willingly accepted my request to go to church on Christmas morning! He even called the Greek Orthodox Bishop of Central Europe himself to find out at what time the Christmas service would begin on Christmas morning! He came with me and the children but he went out of the church before the end of the service. I actually encouraged him to do so because he was getting restless, and I didn't want him to curse inside the church. However, he later said he remembered a hymn he was singing at school. He even sang it with me later at home. i have never sang a hymn with C. It was so , uplifting is the best word I can come up with. It was as if we were praying together.
Here I am on my way out of the church of the Holy Trinity, Vienna. I felt very comfortable in it, with the people and the service. It reminded me of the Greek Orthodox church where my late grandfather officiated in England.
I am scared like a blind person whose eyes ache when he sees the light. I sometimes I feel lost when I am getting out of my comfort zone of know it all. But I have began applying a phrase that comes to my lips: "Kyrie Eleison", God have mercy.
I find myself saying to Christ: I do not know what to do, I do not know what to say about this. Please, please say it for me. Please lead me and I will follow.
Thank you Lynn, thank you Iris, thank you dear friends. May your lives always overflow with Christ's ample blessings in 2008 and always.
8 comments:
What a wonderful blessing your post is today Irene! I'm praising God with you for all your glorious experiences you had over Christmas in Vienna. I've been including "God have mercy on me" more and more this past year. God loves you and will continue to bless you and teach you what He wants you to know about Him. A very Happy New Year to you and yours...
Such a beautiful post my friend, keep your eyes on Jesus. I love you.
It was nice to read about your experiences this Christmas and the blessings that was for you. Thank you for sharing.
What wonderful blesses and wonderful pictures. I would love to visit your part of the world. God is so good! Hugs!
Hello Irene!
God is so good, His blessings are overflowing!
Happy New Year!
Prayers for blessings upon blessings for you and yours.
♥
annie
Oh - I am so happy for your Irene. What a beautiful Christmas celebration you had with your family. How awesome that your hubby went with you to church and singing the hymn together later. Thank you so much for sharing your grateful and joyous heart with us this week.
Blessings to you and yours in 2008 and beyond. Kyrie Eleison
HOW neat! What a great way to spend "living Christmas"!
Your post is a blessing to me on this "Saturday" :) (I am always a bit late in reading everyong!)
Irene,
I am finally getting to your TT post and boy and I glad I did.
Beautiful, awesome and I am in tears with you.
Thank you for sharing your Christmas with me. Your family is beautiful and I loved the pictures.
See you Thursday. Love and hugs, Lynn
Post a Comment