Monday, April 14, 2008

Won't you join me for lunch?

Hello,
I hope everyone had a fairly nice week end.
We had some peculiar weather. The skies were an off white/off yellow kind of shade, supposedly from dust travelling all the way from the Sahara. Some additional experiments on us human guinea pigs, probably?..
We slept deeply, as the temperatures reached 32C, some ten degrees more than the usual April temperature.
I leafed through the Sunday papers and their deco sections. Newspapers here come loaded with magazines and DVDs every Sunday. C watched Kubrick's Space Odyssey 2001. The most interesting part to me were the aesthetics of the supposedly space era we were expected to live in by now. Hard as the media try, they haven't managed yet to make us get rid of the beauty and elaborate ornamentation God intended His creation to live in.
I witness every day the oppression of plastic and modern, of the futuristic architecture and the synthetic materials being promoted as fashionable and easy to live with. Easy for who? Their makers, perhaps. Certainly not the people or the environment.

At the same time I witness on the net a silent revolution of women who return to the home made. They make their own clothes not out of necessity but in order to escape the copy/paste fashion be it Versace or Zara. I can see women bake their own cakes and teach their children embroidery, and knit their own socks, and sell their handicraft on the net. Isn't that lovely?

Cinema-wise, I want to see Ingmar Bergman's Fanny and Alexander. Probably not funny, but I hope it will be enjoyable for a rainy afternoon in April.
Meanwhile, I have decided to go on a diet again. This time I have decided, with God's help, to stick on a specific plan. It is not the most affordable choice, but I must do it. SO, I have hid the Merenda, a Greek sister to the famous Nutella, deep in the kitchen drawer. Out of sight, out of mind.


In my 8 in 2008 post I had announced I would do something interesting about food.So, here is what I'll do. I am going to post photos and recipes of the meal I have every day, while I am dieting. You will thus join me for a full dietetic meal, and you'll see how the food turns out.


Today we have a salad with tomatoes, cucumber, onion and green pepper, and a main course of chickpeas. As we are in the spring, onions are fresh, but you may substitute with dry onions if it's easier for you. For dinner I have a light cheese and whole bread sandwich with a big salad. And for breakfast I am having some whole wheat cookies and a glass of 1% fat milk or yogurt or a small fruit.

I hope you'll all have a great week.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Sounds good, and looks yummy.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to join you!

Sara said...

Greetings Irene...I love what you said here: "The most interesting part to me were the aesthetics of the supposedly space era we were expected to live in by now. Hard as the media try, they haven't managed yet to make us get rid of the beauty and elaborate ornamentation God intended His creation to live in."

I totally agree! The modern, sparse, plastic, cold style is not for me. Give me beauty and elaborate ornamentation! Just look at the elaborate ornamentation God gave his creation....all those amazingly patterned tropical fish for instance. And flowers, etc, etc.

I wish you well on your dietary plans, and today's lunch looks simply delicious.

Sara