
Question 1.
In what way are you like your mom?
Sometimes I look like her, especially when I am tired. I also have her temper. Bursting...I recently realized that my inclination in Interior Design, working with fabrics etc. comes from her. She made all her clothes herself to perfection. She also played around with furniture. Her mother, my late grandmother, also loved making things for the home. She hadn't received any training but she had the most exquisite dishcloths I've ever seen. I also inherited depression. With God's help, and the love of my friends (that includes my blogging friends),I am fighting it.
Question 2.
What is your earliest, or favorite, memory of your mom?
When we were living in England, my mom was staying in Greece for some stretches of time to take care of our property. I'd leave her bed with the same bedlinen as she left it, and sneak in whenever I felt lonely.
Question 3.
What are the qualities you admire in your mom?
She did her best, unaided by her surroundings. She decided to get a divorce the western way, when and where feminism was quite fashionable, but in the wrong milieu that never forgave her choice and treated her like an outcast. She wanted me to be independent, she pushed me (hard) to study and excel in academic life that she wasn't allowed to follow. Without realizing it, she moulded me into the independent yet longing for love and appreciation spirit that I am.
Question 4.
Do you stay in touch with your mom?
No. She knows where I am. She does not approve of my choices because I did not fulfill her dream. I do not mind. I have told her that I love her. I am at peace with my consciousness.
Question 5.
Are you the kind of mom you want to be?
Yes. I make it a point to stay close to my children and keep my ears, eyes and mind open.
Question 6.
What is your favorite thing about being a mom?
Her sense of style. She'd wear a white shirt, a blue skirt (made by her), high Charles Jourdan heels, Worth perfume and her pearls and she'd make the room turn around her.
Oops! I didn't read that one well. What is my favorite thing about being a mom? I try to be the mom I would have liked to have and offer my children the opportunity to be their age. I don't care about being perfect or having a perfect house. I love giving love and attention to them. I do not regret the extra pounds or the so-called missed opportunities to a career. I have found my vocation. I am a moma hen.
Question 7.
Would you ever approach a mom you didn’t know with unsolicited advice concerning her mothering skills?
I have before and I will again. I am thankful because people usually ask for my opinion. I am very careful because I hate sneaky people. But I cannot help it when a mom lets her toddler cross the street by itself.
Thank you Heather and Reese. I am glad to join in Know and Tell, again!
1 comment:
Irene, I appreciate your honesty and the clear way you painted a picture of your mom, your memories and your relationship now.
I love the one about going to your mom's bed when she was gone and you were lonely. That's so sweet!
Bless you Irene! I'm glad to know you.
Reese
Post a Comment