Thursday, May 08, 2008

Thankful Thursday-Honesty

Hi everyone! I've missed you those past few weeks, though I am so very grateful I have lots to be thankful for this Easter season.

If you've stopped by this time, you know that we have celebrated the Orthodox Easter on April 27th. (And if you haven't, you may read about it here . There are also individual posts for Palm Sunday, Easter recipes , every day of the Holy Week and Easter day).

I am humbly thankful for a beautiful Easter that we've spent as a family. We went to church in the evening and we stayed till the morning on Easter Sunday for the mass, where we all received Holy Communion. J was sad, though, because the evening church going was over. Everything was new to him. I think it really made an impression to him.

I am thankful that our friends biopsy was relatively good. But I would like to ask you to please, pray for her as she faces chemo.

I am thankful that Iris chose to dedicate this week's TT to Honesty. We often read that we live in a fallen or even false world. It is true that Truth is lacking, because God is not invited in our lives. There is so much false kindness and palpable meanness around. Let us pray that we may be honest with God and ourselves.

I am currently reading a book on prayer by Metropolitan Anthony of Sourozh. He writes, and I think it is true, that when we are praying we must leave aside our preconceptions both about God and about ourselves. That with meeting God, we must not expect some artificial expectation of emotion, joy or ecstasy, but God Himself. He also says that we are often avoiding to show God who we really are, because we are afraid that His presence will disturb our lives and our own man made values.

I am really thankful for the baby steps we are making in completing the building of our house. We are now painting.

I am also thankful that the back pain is easing and I can move around better.

I am thankful for Iris and to my special friends who are writing to me, encourage me, share Faith and Wisdom with me, who stop by and comment and shower me with your love and faith in Christ. I love you. God bless you. And happy week end.


8 comments:

Melanie said...

Thanks so for sharing your thoughts from the book you are reading. Isn't it amazing that we DO try to conceal our "real" selves from God when He is the one that made us and knows more about ourselves than we do? We humans just don't always make alot of sense, do we? :)

Happy Thankful Thursday!

Denise said...

Glad your back is feeling better sweetie. I am praying for you, and your friend.

Anonymous said...

I've always been curious about the Orthodox Calender (I know its observed in Lebanon and Egypt and Greece of course).

I loved reading your post.

God bless you

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your post Irene. Thanking God for you.

Darlene said...

Great post! Have a great week!

Unknown said...

Hi Irene,

I always love getting an update on your life... Painting now on your home. Girl, you are almost there.

Great post today. Love you, Lynn

Heather and Reese said...

Irene - Wow! You have alot going on in your life. Isn't God great? I'm glad that your back is feeling better.

I wanted to stop by and let you know that my friend Reese & I are hosting Know and Tell Friday for Kim until she is ready to host it again. We would love it if you want to participate with us!

Heather

www.kicking-it-in-crazyville.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.