Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Help! Someone called me Granny!

I have been on a rollercoaster this week, as you may gather if you've even tried to move house. Packing on one side, unpacking on the other. Sounds straight forward? Hmm, not to me, not anymore. There is lots of throwing away to be done, obviously, but for the first time there is going to be a huge giveaway. I am grateful that my kids are mature enough to realise that holding on to clothes and stuff they've long outgrown is selfish and pointless.
Of course there is stuff that is cherished, which is moving with us. Especially napkin paintings that are too precious to throw away..
There is some thinking to be done about old curtains like this Designers Guild lot from J's bedroom.
And of course there is the sweet melancholy of leaving behind a well lived space. A space that has housed an important chapter of my life, my fall and rise in Christ.

Works at the house continue. Railings are being put up, a compressor works on the pavement all day, and tomorrow we are expecting the backyard fence to be put up. For a brief moment I almost wished I would be in the orderly disorder of our old house.
Straight forward, you said? No, not to me! When I've suggested that all it takes to divide our properties is a simple fence bought inexpensively at the local Praktiker store, the neighbors hissed in disapproval. No, cement it must be. Makes me wonder, why people think they are going to live forever, when it is well documented that usually houses outlive people?


In all this upheaval, where I do not know where to start and where to go next at times, there are spots of relaxation, at least for some of us. Oh I love it when they find their little niche of peace and quiet!
And as if this weren't enough, a customer's little girl kept calling me granny, today! Perhaps I shall have to color my hair again. Have a haircut and untie those tight scrunchies. And wear something pretty, 'cause I have to admit, yesterday I came to the shop with C's shirt on!

3 comments:

Denise said...

Praying for you my friend.

Anonymous said...

Everything looks fabulous. Love the beds, furniture etc.! I'm so excited for you! Sounds like you need a make over! (I don't know if you saw the post of mine where Amanda gave me a makeover :) If I were in Greece I'd come right over :)... But, that little girl probably has a really really young grandmother so she made a simple mistake. Have a great Wednesday!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I shall whisper a prayer for you dear! Ah, life is so busy and hectic sometimes isn't it? But how exciting to be off on new adventures. That is funny about being called Granny, I feel like a granny myself some days when I catch a glimpse of myself. Where did that young girl go? Lost in a flurry of being too busy I guess!

Take care, I will look forward to your updates!

Blessings!