Friday, February 20, 2009

Another week without finishing the posts I began. Had they been written and saved I might have had access to them. But most of the time they are written while I am going about a chore, at home or at the shop. In my mind. What I noticed by not posting as often as I used to or as often as I want to, is that doing a manual job, something that keeps me physically busy, frees up my spirit. The rare times I sit down and write late at night, I find myself bragging on, while what I really want to say has been irretrievably lost.
So, here we are. On a Friday, a week or so before Lent. People dress up, especially teenagers, not as much as they used to when I was a kid, but they do do so at school. At the time, dressing up your child was a community issue, everyone did and you had to keep up with the Joneses; which hasn't changed much but is not as innocent as it used to be; or is Time that makes the edges round?

As a child, I have been dressed up as a Daisy (the flower, not the cartoon character) when I was one; an Austrian girl at two; a Fire (with lots of red tulle) at three; a Hungarian girl at four. Fortunately I missed the dreaded Carmen, which, though of long length, was banished as too provocative in spirit, by my mum.

As a mother I am oftentimes found in a cowboy hat that C buys for me almost every year, a sweet acknowledgment as I perceive it, that I appreciate. Here is a picture of this year's hat.

I found a rare picture of myself in a cow boy hat in the computer at work. I'll post it for your pleasure one of these Carnavali days.
You see, I am home bound since Wednesday, and although little J had a temperature that scared me (102,5), and C was in Athens, I thank God for that unexpected brake. As the weather was sunny, I found myself enjoying the perfume of laundry hanging in the open air. I took the cat for a walk. I think he likes parsley.
And cooked some healthy and wholesome meals, like this corned beef sauce.


Do you want to know how I make this? It's my personal chicken soup, because it reminds me of my grandfather. So, you'll need a medium red onion. Take the leaves off then put it in a bowl of water. It's easier on the stomach). Open the can. Pour a teacup of olive oil in a pan. Heat. Chop the onion. Add to the heated olive oil. Stir. Add beef. Stir. Then add a box/can of tomato puree. Or make some fresh tomato pulp if you have the time. Add to the beef. Add a bunch of parsley. Cinnamon. Couple of cloves. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over spaghetti. Top with grated cheese. And now make a salad to wash it down. Lettuce, spring onion and dill with an olive oil and vinegar sauce goes well. And some fresh bread to collect the remaining sauce. Have some red wine, too. Gia mas! (Cheers)

3 comments:

One Mom said...

oh I sooo know what you mean! I can't count the number of posts I have composed in my head that never see the light of a blog! There has to be a solution :)

Mary Lynn said...

Just found your blog, through Anna Maria's. (I'm her mom.) Looking forward to getting some Lenten menu ideas.

Denise said...

I love you my sweet friend.