Saturday, August 01, 2009

Olympia

On our way home from the Peloponnese, we drove to Olympia, one of the most important, holiest places of the ancient world. I think C described it best when he said "It feels like a monastery from the ancient times".


It is true. It feels peaceful and bright and very positive. Olympia is not like some ancient places where you may feel fear and awe. It feels utterly natural.


We spent some three hours there without even realising it. Time simply passed us by.


Although I have outgrown my dream of working as an archaeologist, this place felt just like the right place to be. I felt very present and in the moment.


On our return, C asked me the question.

I would have expected to jump at the answer and say "the church, of course". But I did not. I did not because I would not be true to myself. The truth is, there is a part of me that feels very much linked to my physical and spiritual heritage. On the other hand, I have found my balance and peace in Christ, and this is something I would not compromise.

So I said to C that although I would never insult Ancient Greek religion, Christ has done so much for me, and I feel so good in His presence, that I would go to the church. He said he would go to the temple.

I am thankful that he does not refuse to go to the church on Sunday. I am glad I am at peace with myself.


2 comments:

Denise said...

Such beautiful pictures.

Merisi said...

There is something about these ancient places that takes one captive, isn't it?

I have yet to experience Olympia,
in the meantime your words and images make me feel I was there already, in spirit. Thank you!